Whenever I don’t have much time to prepare for my lunch after drink my green smoothie, I always feel like I have to push my brain to the limit.
I need to whip up something fast, which kind of is a great thing because it tests my ability to come up with a fast but tasty recipe. I believe some of you would be in a situation like me, where you are in a hurry to get somewhere and need to come up with a fast meal plan.
This recipe makes a total of three large sandwiches, which I believe was great to serve two people, as each of us had one sandwich and a half. Since they were sliced in half anyway, you can’t really tell that the third one is split, haha!
Sandwiches like this is easy to do and taste amazing prepared well. Though I do recommend you to get good bread, that isn’t loaded with white wheat and sugar, and I find that Trader Joe’s have the best type of bread, so I recommend going there to get it if you have access to a store close by.
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ small yellow onion
- 1 cup tightly packed oyster mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan/sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- A few sprinkles ground pepper
- A small pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat multigrain bread (I used Trader Joe’s)
- A handful baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Slice the bell pepper on all four sides to make four relatively large, flat pieces. Slice the onion into thin strips. Dice the garlic into small pieces and combine it with the mushrooms in a large bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil, sesame oil, then add all the spices, including the onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce, mustard, salt, fennel seeds (crush with your hands first), ground pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Stir and use your hands to massage it all over the vegetables.
- Put it flat on a 9×13 inch oven tray without much overlap and bake for about 25 minutes.
- After baking the veggies for about 10 minutes, start toasting the bread in a toaster oven, a toaster or anything you use that toasts bread (if you want the bread toasted, that is).
- Assembling: First, add a few baby spinach leaves, then add the bell pepper, mushrooms, onion and garlic, and close the sandwich and cut in half.